Your body is constantly exposed to external threats everyday, so it's very important to provide it with the essential nutrients it needs to keep it's immune system strong.
Your immune system can often weaken due to bad nutrition, causing diseases that are entirely preventable. The solution, to a large extent, is to incorporate these 10 foods that strengthen your immune system.
1. Legumes -These are rich in vegetable proteins and are loaded with essential amino acids. These include peas, beans, and lentils.
2. Eggs - The ovoalbumin (main protein found in egg whites) is another protein that reinforces your immune system. Choose "organic" if possible.
3. Dairy - Milk and yogurt contain healthy bacteria that counter balance the bad bacteria that cause food poisoning and other ailments. However, I would strongly recommend "organic" products in this category as well.
4. Lean/Grass-Fed Meats - These contain zinc and proteins that are easily absorbed in the body that help strengthen the immune system.
5. Onions - Loaded with antioxidants
6. Garlic - One of the most natural antibiotics. Along with onions, garlic helps to bring up mucus and other material from the lungs, bronchi and trachea.
7. Honey - This also has very effective antibacterial properties, not to mention it is a sweet addition to most foods.
8. Fish - High in omega-3 fatty-acids, which mitigate inflammatory processes.
9. Lemon - Has lots of vitamin C as well as the minerals magnesium and calcium, which help protect against viruses and bacteria.
10. Olive Oil - The fatty-acids in olive oil are great allies against inflammatory processes.
Incorporating these simple foods in to your diet will help fight off those ugly flus/colds and allow you to continue to exercise and enjoy the benefits without having to visit your local health care facility. Besides, no one wants to start the New Year off lying in bed.