Thursday, February 9, 2012

In sickness and in health

When I chose to get married 7 years ago, I decided I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my wife to be.  As the minister read the verse, "...in sickness and in health", I said "I do".  We chose to live healthy, active lives together and hopefully for a long, long time.



Not surprising then, that researchers from the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter found that when a husband or wife makes a healthy lifestyle change, the spouse is dramatically more likely to follow suit.  "In fact, whenever one person begins an exercise program, his or her partner is 50% more likely to do the same".  Seems we really do want to grow old gracefully with our loved one.

Fortunately, the same holds true for those who smoke.  When when of the partners quit smoking, it's said that the other is 5 times more likely to quit as well.  Healthy lifestyle changes are addictive after all.

No comments: