Saturday, April 21, 2012

Memory Function - Part 2

In my last post about improving memory function, I listed a few simple suggestions that you could do on a daily basis.


Now I want to share with you an even greater (or more fun) method to help improve your brain health.  While I was working on the website, FitDay.com, entering all of my foods, activities, etc (I highly recommend this site to anyone looking to track daily calories or lose weight) I stumbled across something that attracted my attention.  It was a link to a website called Lumosity.   This was the perfect 2nd piece to my "3-Part memory function posts".  Lumosity offers brain training programs designed to help improve your memory, attention, and processing speed.  
According to scientists, our brain needs challenging and adaptive activities in order to get smarter.  By exposing our brain to constant, fresh stimulation, we'll create new neural pathways and change existing ones.  This is part of a process called neuroplasticity.


How Lumosity works is that you select areas of your memory that you want to improve; Memory, Attention, Speed, Flexibility, and Problem Solving.  Then once you have completed all sections, the website will customize a training program for you to work on.  It will even give you an estimated improvement % based on your age group, and will even track your progress.  Upon completing each game (tests), it will provide you with a BPI (Brain Performance Index); a measure of your cognitive memory.  Sound interesting???


So far, I have taken the first 2 "tests" (Speed Match -information processing, and Memory Matrix - spacial recall) and already can see that I need some work. Try it yourself and let me know what you think   

No comments: