Sunday, March 3, 2013

Weekend Workout - # 9

While down in Arizona, I chose to include some outdoor agility drills you can do to help improve your performance for ball sports, or to add some card work to your strength workout.  If cardio is your primary focus, I would recommend that you do these drills first and then your strength workout. However, if strength gains is your focus, do your strength workout first and then these agility drills.

I have my dad and myself demonstrating the agility drills, so I wanted to show that you can do these even if you are in your 60's or 70's.  not only do these drills work the cardiovascular system, but they also help to work on coordinate and balance (two things that diminish as we age).

For each exercise, repeat 2-4 times as fast as you can.  For an added motivation, time yourself for each set and try to match your time for each set.  Allow 1 minute rest between each set.

The drills for this workout include the following:

1.  "W" agility drill


2.  "T" agility drill


3.  Figure 8's and lateral shuffle drill


4.   5-10 agility drill


5.  Star lateral shuffles - perform this exercise both directions




No comments: