Sunday, June 9, 2013

Tough Mudder Oregon 2013

For the first time in 10 years, I am not competing this summer as a professional cyclist.  Being a competitive athlete, however, I need something to set as a goal to keep me motivated mentally and challenged physically.   So I signed up to compete in this years Tough Mudder Oregon, held June 15th in Fossil, OR.

Tough Mudder and many other obstacle course events,  have been quite the buzz the past few years.  Get muddy, climb over tall walls, and jump into freezing water over a course of 10-12 miles, is pretty common among these military-style workouts.


I have been training specifically for this event the past 8 weeks and it has been a blast. Actually, it has lit the fuse again that I started lacking towards the end of my cycling career.  Running up steep hills (numerous times), lifting heavy weights in the gym, doing lots of challenging body weight exercises (burpees, push ups, rock squats and presses) repetitively while running through the trails, and tons of TRX core exercises has me ready to give the Tough Mudder a shot next weekend.  The only thing I have not actually done is get muddy before doing all of this training, or jump into a freezing river.  I guess I will have a taste of what it's like during the event.

Is anyone else doing the Tough Mudder Oregon event June 15th (Saturday)?  Looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about these races.  Is it the physical challenge, or is it just running around 1/2 naked and full of mud that excites everyone?  Maybe it's both!  See you there.

No comments: